Saturday, October 20, 2012

Coffee Grinder Rebuild

My huge Barient two speed coffee grinder has been primed for some time.  I tasked Marco with disassembling it and gave him a bucket of diesel fuel to clean the chain gears and assorted parts.  He put much of it together today.  One of the bearing in the top part was frozen up.  I took this part to the parts store to order a pair of new bearings, races, and seals.  When I got back I took a close look at the bearing that Marco didn't pull and decided I did not like the way it looked, although it might hold together a while, the ball bearings looked pitted.  I don't think this is a high load bearing, but I'm going to replace it anyway.  A few  spots on the ring and pinion gears have chips missing on the edges, but nothing significant enough to warrant making new gears. 

Here are some pictures of the bottom part of the Coffee Grinder.  It cleaned up well and I'm especially pleased with how well the chain cleaned up. 





No comments: