Monday, July 23, 2012

Lots of Progress

I have gotten lots of work done in the last few weeks. And have not had much time to document it.  I have some pictures and will update this post later on with pictures.

Recent Jobs Completed:

  1. The topsides have been repaired and repainted.
  2. The shower pan has been repainted and I'm getting ready to mount the rebuilt head.
  3. The back half of the boat has been caulked around the toe rail to match the front.
  4. The main water tanks have been cleaned and resealed.  One tanks showed a sign of leaking at the resealed overplate.  I plan to reseal that, but will wait while I finish off some other projects.
  5. Removed the bow CT use decals, and the US documentation number on the boom--which was installed slightly crooked.
  6.  Cut off one leg of my water heater, so it will tuck in closer and take up less space on the starboard side.
  7. The primary, Barient coffee grinder, winch has been stripped of paint, and is partially disassembled.  I plan to finish taking it apart and it will be primed and painted.  I will be trying  spray painting this time due to the complicated curves on this piece.
  8. I decided to rebed all the deck gear and stanchions, starting with the deck tracks have been removed and one track deck area showed some core damage, so I plan to fill those holes with epoxy and re-drill them.  

I have lots of gear to be installed, and the best way to clear some space is to simply mount it and that solves two problems--getting it installed and getting it out of the way.  The first thing I want to do is mount my power winch.  There are a few snags.  I need a different flange to mate the two pieces together. While the two parts will mate up as is, that won't work as access to the screws need to be on the bottom not the top.   I am hoping I can order a different flange from Lewmar, or if not, then I'll get one made up by Carl at my friendly neighborhood machine shop.

A Key Point:  The powered winch will be a big help in sending people up the mast. Suddenly it will be an easy two man job.  I can use it to a) remove both the forestay--to install a Roller Furler, and b) to remove the backstay (screwed up by a reputable rigger who is not so reputable).  And c) I also need to retrieve a halyard by my other boat, that is rafted up next to it. With my primary winch out of commission, this is my best option to send someone up the mast--Although I may have the primary back in commission first.  In any case, I will make a big push to get this done.


My near term priorities:


Foreward Head:
  • Installing the forward head.
  • Plumbing in the sink and shower.
  • Installing trim around the shower pan.
  • Designing and building a holding tank.
  • Installing new stainless deck pump-out ports for both heads.

Coffee Grinder:  
  • Finish breaking it down so it can be moved.
  • Priming and painting it.
  • Cleaning and lubricated the gears and bearings.
  • Reinstalling it.

Deck Gear Re-bedding
  • Rebedding the deck tracks.
  • Rebedding and the bow pulpit.
  • Rebedding the spinnaker deck chocks.

Power Winch:
  • Buying or building a new mating flange.
  • Cutting the access hole to mount it.
  • Mounting the power winch
  • Mouinting the gearbox.
  • Mounting the deck switch.
  • Mounting the Contactor (Relay)
  • Buying and mounting a breaker
  • Wiring this together.
  • Fabricating a cover for the gearbox (deferred until later). 
Roller Furler:
  • Remove Forestay
  • Build new forestay
  • Attach Roller furling
  • Modify #2 Sail for luff groove.

No comments: